Sunday, November 30, 2014

When Tech Fails Us

Well, it finally happened!  My computer went down and stayed down.  It had been misbehaving since July 2014 when I inadvertently contacted a malware site posing as a contact for my printer, when it began behaving erratically (the printer, not the computer!).  Thinking I had contact my printers support site directly, I allowed the tech to join me on my computer to make the adjustments needed.  Before I knew it, he was disabling my Security Setting and programs and when I told him no, he quickly did some other things and by the time I shut down him and the join in, he had added a virus to my computer and began demanding $120 to 'make repairs'.  I know, I know....I never knew that you could invite trouble in like that!

By the time I got to undoing all the changes he had made, I knew I could not undo, redo and fix all that he had done in the space of literally 1 minute.  It was all down hill as I slowly slipped off the cliff to losing my data and then to a blank screen unable to reboot, unable to get to my beloved internet, unable to locate my precious pictures of my work done on the house!  I could barely breathe!  I was left with no option but a full reset and the computer refused to allow any savings of files, data, pictures, documents, etc.  Luckily, the full reset at least allowed me back into my computer, able to now work without the brain numbing freezes, lockups, shutdowns and what nots.  Also all my tenderly changed settings now at point zero and all having to be loaded again, one by one.  But just a few short minutes ago, I found some of what I thought were lost photos on my android tablet!  Thank goodness for that!  At least some were there.  Enough I feel better!

But it did get me to thinking, all those many reminders of "You should make a System Restore Now" and I would click ignore and move on.  When I started to realize I better do it now, I had to go to the store to get a special DVD+R, as all the other DVD's, CD's and stuff I had were not working.  But alas, I was too late.  By the time I got it, and returned home, my computer had decided I must be punished for my lapse and refused to allow any restore/saving to happen!  My window was closed!
Was I the only one facing a fate worse than death?  Was I the only one not running to the store at the first reminder sent so many years ago?  Or that had been offered just a few days ago?  Probably not, but I sure was the sorriest!  So for all you procrastinators out there, yes, today is the day to do it!  Run, do not walk, to the electronics section of your favorite department store and get the proper DVD you need to make the restore disk!  Do not wait to be the poster girl for all things lost!  You may think there isn't that much to lose, but I assure you, those pictures and videos of your precious furbaby, newborn, first brand new car EVER and pictures of Nana BEFORE the stroke, will seem quite precious when you can no longer find them!  Just saying!




No comments:

Post a Comment