Friday, December 12, 2014

Maketh my bed to lie down in......

In the effort to make my 'dream house' into the vision I have, a number of issues (money, budget, time, materials, etc) have come up, impeding the work.  At this point, I do have a number of things accomplished (new cabinets, window seat, flat screen tv mounted, electric, etc) for my future bedroom.

One of the projects that helped immensely, was taking a portion of the front L-shaped porch and turning it into a walk-in closet!  Between the electric, the insulation and the building, it took approximately 1 month from start to finish!  I snagged a red plush carpet left over from someone else's project to cover the concrete floor for a mere $5!  Instantly, it became a major attraction for the baby to play in and the dogs to lay in.  Much unpacking of the bedroom and moving the items into the closet was a major help on the clutter taking up valuable real estate in my bedroom.

Then came the cabinetry and a custom window seat for my bedroom in front of two side by side windows.  It became the baby's favorite spot to 'not' take a nap while watching squirrels and birds playing outside, while he drifted off to sleep!  Soon the tv was uplifted on a swivel mount over one base cabinet and new electrical run for that and my computer and cable wires.

The work slowed for a bit, and now, I am ready (after Christmas I will resume!) to start the next phase!  For now, I have the bed (a wonderful bargain at Sam's of Queen size memory foam mattress) marked down to $300 from $600.  The bedroom had 3 door ways coming into it, one, which my bed backs up to, goes into the hallway and into the new laundry room and kitchen.  I have debated whether to remove this door all together, or leave it in place and go over it with a custom built headboard and shelving, since it could ultimately affect the resale value.  The other doors one goes to the on suite and another to my office/library, which has another door going in the hallway and to the walk-in closet.

I have doodled on paper a few ideas, but have yet to pull the trigger on any ideas, as I am still unsure as to what to do.  So here are a few pictures of the lay of the land, take a peek and let me know if you have any solutions?


As you can see the base cabinet, the windows, and the mess where the custom window seat is going.

It looks bad, but its just all the trim has been removed, a vent is being fixed to run under the seat and out the front!

Window seat is in, these are the pillows for now, am doing custom ones, and by custom, I mean I will be making them myself!

A bit of dressing up and down trying to find what looks best!
The baby, actually the kid....who claims he is not going to "sleep" but is just resting his eyes!

So what do you think of how the bed is?  What could I do to hide the door?  I'm thinking a large upholstered headboard with storage and then built in shelved instead of the matching bookcases!  I want the colors to be cobalt blue and soft white.


This is my bed as it sits now, with a bookcase on either side and a door directly at the back!  As you can see, I need to repaint, I removed all the wallpaper and have cleaned the walls, they just look bad!

Would love some feedback on this!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment